Bird Ramblings

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010

      Hi All,

      I returned from a trip to Denver last evening, stopping briefly at my favorite Kremmling feeders (NE of intersection of 9th Street and Grand Ave). There were about 150 rosy finches—mostly Gray-crowned, with 15 or 20 Blacks and at least one Brown-capped. On the way to Denver Monday there was a flock of about 200 rosy finches (unclassified due to the nasty weather and a lack of any place to pull off) on Highway 40 at Muddy Pass junction at the Jackson\Grand counties line. There wasn’t much of interest on Green Mtn or Wolford Reservoirs. There were no Barrow’s Goldeneyes on either Reservoir, but there were around 25 on the Silverthorne sewage lagoons.

      This is a little late, but I did the local waterfowl counts on Saturday (Nov 27) and had eight Barrow’s Goldeneyes at the Craig Station inlet pond where I believe they currently roost overnight and another four on the Yampa River south of Craig. Otherwise, a Red-breasted Merganser at the inlet pond was about the only other highlight. Actually, come to think of it, a couple of late RB Gulls was slightly interesting as well.

      A little out of the area I know, but if you happen to be in Denver any time a soon a visit to Emerald Strand Park in the Pena Blvd area might be in order.  It is an oxbow type lake built as part of a big housing development. I went there Tuesday morning about 7 a.m. with my son who lives in the area and there were tens of thousands of geese on this urban pond. There have been six species of geese reported there and we were able to pick out Canada (the vast majority), Cackling, Snow, Ross’s and White-fronted. We missed the Brant somewhere in that mass of feathers and other stuff left behind. Watching thousands of geese lift off in waves was quite a sight and sound, although it made me a bit nervous when they flew directly overhead. They quite literally “blackened the sky.”

      Anyway, you have to take your birding entertainment where you find it this time of year.

      Forrest Luke

      Craig