Re: [wsbn] Ridgway Reservoir

  • bill harris
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2010
      I checked out Ridgway Res. this AM.  Got the same results as Kent
      minus the loons and scoter.  I really wanted to add the scoter to my list.
      Did add the hooded merganser.  At least 8 western grebes and 2 Barrows goldeneyes.
      Bill Harris

      Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:40 PM
      Subject: [wsbn] Ridgway Reservoir

      Hello, birders,

      After being gone for two months, I drove down to R'way Reservoir this afternoon to check out whether Coen Dexter's Surf Scoters were still there.  I found one along the far shoreline, as viewed from the gravel on the south end.  There were several Hooded Mergansers, at least two female Commons, Common Goldeneyes, one W. Grebe, two Bald Eagles, gulls far in the distance, and several loons.  The loons were not particularly close, either, but they didn't look to me to be heavy in the water as Common Loons appear.  One of the loons seemed to have a yellow bill and it held its head raised, but the sun was slanting from a tough, late-afternoon angle.  If anyone else gets to the reservoir, please check out the loons.

      Kent Nelson
      Ouray

    • kent nelson
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
        Hello, birders,

        I stopped by the R'way Reservoir on the way to Montrose today (Monday) and found the Surf Scoter again along the western shore, as seen from the mudflats at the south end of the water.  No loons.  Other birds: two Hooded Mergansers, 25 Common Mergansers, one W. Grebe, 15 Common Goldeneyes, and, at the marina, two Mallards, one Ruddy Duck , and 4 Canada Geese.  There were 8 Bald Eagles along the watercourse from R'way north, three Red-tails, one Townsend's Solitaire (Billy Creek), and at the gravel pit pond in Montrose County, east side of 550, 8 Bufflehead and 6 Ring-necked Ducks.

        At my feeder in Ouray this morning were 40 Evening Grosbeaks.  I had one Lesser Goldfinch on 12/1, but he never showed up again that day or since.

        Kent Nelson
        Ouray

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10 6:22 PM
          Greetings,
          Best bird at Ridgway Reservoir was a Marbled Godwit.  Also present was two White-faced Ibis.  There were several grebes and gulls too far away to ID.
          The Redvale Pond had a Greater Yellowlegs and several American Pipits.  There are many ponds this spring around our area with good mudflats.  I wonder where the shorebirds are at?!!!
          Good birding,
          Coen and Brenda
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2013
          Greetings,
          Five species of gulls are now present at Ridgway Reservoir in Ouray County; Bonaparte's, 1; Franklin's, 3; Ring-billed, 4; California, 21; and Herring, 1. Also present were 3 Common Loons and a few Western Grebes. Several ducks and coot were at the far end of the reservoir. About 20 Common Mergansers were close enough to be certain of an ID. The Herring Gull is a first winter gull. We watched it fly about to be certain of its identity.

          Attached is the last of the season spreadsheet for migrants. I have highlighted the species last date for the three years, 2011, 2012 and 2013, where I have kept records. I am sure more late dates will be coming in, especially for waterbirds. If there is data for only one or two years I did not highlight the species.
          In Nucla we have had over 10 inches of rain since the 10th of July. Just maybe there is a correlation between wet or dry summers and bird migration in western Colorado. If we are able to keep late fall dates for the next few years maybe a piece of this puzzle can be added.

          If you find corrections let me know. I do not have the last date for Black-chinned Hummingbird.
          We will be gone to Cuba until the18th of Nov.
          Coen and Brenda
        • Geoff Tischbein

            Message 6 of 9 , Apr 20 3:55 PM
              Hello, birders,

              The past two days I’ve had a couple of Brown-capped Rosy-Finches at my feeder in Ouray and one breeding plumage American Goldfish, along the usual siskins, juncos, and Cassin’s Finches.

              Today I went to Montrose, and on the way back there was a Lewis’s Woodpecker, where I saw them several times last fall and winter, e.g. between the turnoff for the dam (going S) and the heron rookery, which has a few nests occupied.

              At the R’way Reservoir were 13 Marbled Godwits, 1 American Avocet, and 1 Willet. Also, 20 Ruddy Ducks, 15 Gadwalls, 3 Green-winged Teal, 10 Western Grebes, 10 Common Goldeneyes, 1 Common Merganser, 1 Osprey.

              Good birding.

              Kent Nelson
              Ouray