Pacific Loon and Lincoln Sparrow

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2010
      There is a Pacific Loon and a Common Loon at the Colorado River State Park at D and 30.30 Road. The Pacific Loon still has a little breeding plumage left with a lovely necklace so it is an adult. We were in Grand Jct and checked out a couple of places. We did call few birders but no one was home. We were at the lake from 12:00 to 1:00.
      Yesterday, while traveling to Grand Jct we did find a Lincoln Sparrow in a flock of White-crowned and Song Sparrows in Gateway just east of the Dolores River.
      Good birds out there,
      Coen and Brenda
    • nic korte
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2010

        This morning Peter Robinson and I viewed the  Pacific Loon and  Common Loon, reported yesterday by Coen and Brenda, at the Colorado River State Park at D and 30.30 Road.  For awhile, both loons were in the same scope view permitting a very nice comparison.  Ironically, Peter and I and Steve Watson were birding the west end of the valley yesterday when Coen called about the Pacific loon. We saw ~6 common loons among ponds on the west end including Highline Lake and Colorado River State Park. On one of the park ponds was a very handsome male hooded merganser, along with some females. Also, in a field south of Fruita, we saw 5 or 6 snow geese in with a bunch of Canadas.  Overall we found most ducks to be expected including redheads, a pintail, some green-winged teal and others.  We also found a Bonaparte's gull at Colorado River State park and a long-billed dowitcher at Highline Lake.

        Nic Korte

      • nic korte
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 27, 2010
          I may have confused the parks in my post below.  The Mergansers were at the park by Fruita.

          From: nkorte1@...
          To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Pacific Loon
          Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 10:25:29 -0700

[...]

        • Bob Bradley
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2010
            At 3:45 p.m. there was only the Common Loon to be seen at the Colorado River State Park in Grand Junction.

            Bob Bradley
          • aesein.alvera
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010
              Hi Nic and everyone.  Little bit late posting this, but I caught a photo of the Dowitcher on the same day that you saw it.  Check it out here: http://myoshu.net/wordpress/?p=128 .  I must have missed you along the trail.

              Jackson