Another NM cranes note

  • Missy Siders
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2010
      I got another note from my Dad at the Bitter Lakes Wildlife Refuge, Roswell, NM. He had another great crane experience:
      "Well, I got talked into doing the crane count again this morning.  They were doing the regular bird count at 8:00which required at least 6 volunteers, meaning they were short on the EARLY shift.  I was setting in a refuge truck behind some phragmites on impoundment six as the sky above the Pecos bluffs started to show a pink tint.  As soon as I got there I knew it was different than last week.  The sound of the cranes calling was unbelievable.  There were several hundred just on the other side of the  reeds less than 100 yards from me.   As soon as it was light enough to see I put my binoculars on the impoundment and it was covered with cranes standing wing to wing.  In total I counted over 8,400 cranes flying out in a little over an hour and a half.  That’s about 100 cranes per minute.  Many of them were flying toward Roswell rather than south down Pecos.  I guess there’s some new crops coming up around Roswell.  At times I had hundreds of cranes in the air flying in two directions. There weren’t many snow geese this morning, there wasn’t room for them on the impoundment.  There were large flocks of ducks however flying down the bluffs and thousands of black birds and “small New Mexico brown birds”.  There were also Harriers hunting the small birds and many herons taking to wing and I jumped several pheasants as I pulled in.  What a morning for birds."

      Hard to comprehend 100 cranes per minute!
      -Missy

      ^v^  ^V^  ^v^   ^v^   ^V^
                Missy Siders
    • bill harris