feeder birds before the storm, Delta County

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2010
      The birds know it is coming.  The last few weeks, the office feeder has been rather dismal, species-wise, with juncos, mountain chickadees, and a handful of house sparrows dominating.  Other visitors have included EC doves, house finches, a magpie, a downy, and a pair of white-breasted nuthatches.  And rock squirrels, but I think I have sufficiently discouraged them.  There was a single white-crowned immature earlier this fall, but it has been absent for a couple weeks.  Today's new birds for the fall, though, included two American goldfinches, a brown creeper, a song sparrow, and a Lewis' woodpecker.

      My hope is that the sooty and red fox sparrows that visited last December in the cold snap come back this year.

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia, Delta County