birding in western Mexico

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2010

      I’ve just returned from a short birding trip to San Blas and the Durango Highway.  Coen, thank you for recommending this area!

      Lots of great food, 279 species of birds, including 38 lifers.  My favorites were Colima pygmy-owl, 10+ Northern potoos on an evening boat ride, hundreds of hummingbirds (10 species, although most were Berylline) in a feeding frenzy in a single large patch of red salvia at 5000 ft elevation, Golden-cheeked woodpecker, Tufted jay, Black-throated magpie-jay, Happy wren, Red-headed tanager and 33 species of warblers (Red, Golden-browed, Crescent-chested, and Fan-tailed were lifers).

      I always draft a “summary trip report” when I travel out of country, and will gladly share it with anyone who is interested; please let me know off-line, thanks.

      Good birding,