Rifle area ponds

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2010
      Kay and I along with Kendall Henry checked out some of the puddles and ponds west of Glenwood this morning.  Mamm Creek gravel pit had a late Double-crested Cormorant, my latest date Oct 17th also near Rifle.  The ponds along I-70 west of Rifle had a Common Loon.  I don't think the ponds have a name but they are on the site of an EPA uranium mill cleanup some years back,  so I just call them "those radioactive ponds at Rifle".  Barrow's Goldeneyes have not arrived yet at Rifle Gap Reservoir or at the Rifle Fish hatchery.  Many ducks at Harvey Gap Reservoir but all common species.  Cold and breezy this morning, a good day to be in a warm vehicle looking for ducks.

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs