10/30/10 - Delta Co. BCAS Field Trip

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2010
      Yesterday about 10 people participated in the Black Canyon Audobon
      Society (BCAS) field trip touring Delta County waterbodies. First
      stop was Confluence where we ended up spending lots of time on the
      trails since the weather was so nice. Here is the list:

      Location: Confluence Park, Delta
      Observation date: 10/30/10
      Number of species: 31

      Canada Goose 9
      Mallard 7
      Common Merganser 2
      Pied-billed Grebe 2
      Western Grebe 2
      Double-crested Cormorant 1
      Red-tailed Hawk 2
      American Coot 16
      Northern Flicker 7
      Black-billed Magpie 4
      Common Raven 1
      Black-capped Chickadee 6
      Mountain Chickadee 5
      White-breasted Nuthatch 1
      Brown Creeper 1
      Bewick's Wren 2
      Marsh Wren 3
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
      European Starling 65
      Yellow-rumped Warbler 12
      Spotted Towhee 3
      Chipping Sparrow 3
      Song Sparrow 7
      White-crowned Sparrow 15
      Dark-eyed Junco 6
      Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) 2
      Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 4
      Red-winged Blackbird 10
      House Finch 8
      American Goldfinch 3
      Evening Grosbeak 1

      Then, on to Escalante SWA and the Sandhill Crane wintering location
      where we saw approx. 60 Sandhill Cranes, single late Blue-gray
      Gnatcatcher and Barn Swallow, an uncooperative grebe that might have
      been a Horned Grebe, and a shrike that flew away and was left
      unidentified.

      At Sweitzer Lake State Park, there weren't many ducks, no loons, and
      not many waterbirds in general. Highlights were a Northern Goshawk
      perched on a powerpole on the north side of the reservoir, a nice
      group of Mountain Bluebirds, and the temperature - about 75 deg!

      Location: Sweitzer Lake
      Observation date: 10/30/10
      Number of species: 14

      Ring-necked Duck 7