RFI - missing species (long)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2006
      Re: THE BIG MONTH

      fortune cookie says "test your own limits and keep going!"

      and i say help! can't decide if birding is a passion or an obsession!

      four years ago i tallied 110 species of birds in western colorado (west of
      the continental divide) during january, and two years ago i tallied 112
      during january. i didn't find all of these on my own; your postings to
      wsbn was a huge help. sincere thanks all!

      this year i am again testing my limits - skill, endurance, communications -
      in a relatively birdless year it seems. i am Curious George... are my
      birding skills improving? is wsbn still playing a significant role in
      locating birds? are the birds really NOT HERE this year? etc etc

      i was out-of-state for the first 12 days of this year, but have tallied 114
      species in western colorado since my return. these species are listed below
      in case anyone is curious. i think many other species are possible, so i am
      asking for help... if any of you know where i can find some of these
      birds, please let me know or show me the way AND i'll buy lunch! =)

      sincere thanks! Larry

      SPECIES I'M MISSING IN WESTERN COLORADO (JANUARY 2006):

      tundra swan - none in western colorado this winter?

      long-tailed duck - the one at jerry creek #2 appears to have gone

      red-breasted merganser -

      ruddy duck - i know a few are lurking around here, just being stealth

      common loon -

      northern goshawk - thought i had one nailed down but haven't seen it
      recently

      spotted sandpiper - probably a long shot?

      barn owl - most likely in delta county, don't know of any others

      boreal owl - is quiet this time of year, another long shot

      three-toed woodpecker - i've been skunked on the boreal species so far
      (crossbills, pine grosbeak, gray jay), have only tried grand mesa and it's
      been too windy the couple of times i've been there... are there other
      reliable locations for these?

      say's phoebe - should be around somewhere

      eastern bluebird - where in the redlands are they this year? in prior
      years, tiara rado golf course was the place to look

      northern mockingbird - i know of one report, haven't found that bird yet

      american pipit - have scoured icy river banks but nada so far

      bohemian waxwing - will go look for dona's

      tree sparrow - ?

      swamp sparrow - the usual locations here in the valley have been vacated?

      harris's sparrow - any around?

      golden-crowned sparrow - will try for Dave's soon

      snow bunting - another longshot

      common grackle - gunnison?

      brown-headed cowbird - have looked at a few feedlots, no luck

      evening grosbeak - not in any of the usual places this year, haven't heard
      of any either

      SPECIES ON MY JANUARY 2006 LIST TO DATE:
      white-fronted goose
      snow goose
      ross's goose
      canada goose
      cackling goose
      mute swan (a seasonal bird, meaning its probably not a local domestic?)
      trumpeter swan
      wood duck
      gadwall
      american wigeon
      mallard
      northern shoveler
      northern pintail
      green-winged teal
      canvasback
      redhead
      ring-necked duck
      greater scaup?? does anyone have a for-sure one? this one was too far away
      to be certain
      lesser scaup
      bufflehead
      common goldeneye
      barrow's goldeneye
      hooded merganser
      common merganser
      chukar
      ring-necked pheasant
      wild turkey
      gambel's quail
      YELLOW-BILLED LOON
      pied-billed grebe
      great blue heron
      black-crowned night-heron
      bald eagle
      northern harrier - i saw two thermaling/streaming today!! on WHAT thermal?
      sharp-shinned hawk
      cooper's hawk
      red-tailed hawk
      (plus two harlan's at their usual locations)
      ferruginous hawk
      rough-legged hawk
      golden eagle
      american kestrel
      merlin
      peregrine falcon
      prairie falcon
      virginia rail
      sora
      american coot
      sandhill crane
      killdeer
      wilson's snipe
      rock pigeon
      eurasian collared dove
      mourning dove
      western screech-owl
      great horned owl
      northern pygmy-owl
      long-eared owl
      northern saw-whet owl
      belted kingfisher
      lewis's woodpecker
      red-naped sapsucker
      downy woodpecker
      hairy woodpecker
      northern flicker
      loggerhead shrike
      northern shrike
      steller's jay
      western scrub-jay
      pinyon jay
      clark's nutcracker
      black-billed magpie
      american crow
      common raven
      horned lark
      black-capped chickadee
      mountain chickadee
      juniper titmouse
      bushtit
      red-breasted nuthatch
      white-breasted nuthatch
      pygmy nuthatch
      brown creeper
      rock wren
      canyon wren
      bewick's wren
      marsh wren
      american dipper
      golden-crowned kinglet
      ruby-crowned kinglet
      western bluebird
      mountain bluebird
      townsend's solitaire
      american robin
      european starling
      cedar waxwing
      yellow-rumped warbler (both myrtle and audubon's)
      spotted towhee
      song sparrow
      white-throated sparrow
      white-crowned sparrow
      dark-eyed junco
      red-winged blackbird
      western meadowlark
      brewer's blackbird
      great-tailed grackle
      gray-crowned rosy-finch
      black rosy-finch
      brown-capped rosy-finch
      cassin's finch
      house finch
      pine siskin
      lesser goldfinch
      american goldfinch
      house sparrow

      c'est une!
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2006
        *** UPDATE ***

        today i found 3 of my 5 quest species plus a bonus... got pine grosbeak,
        three-toed woodpecker, and gray jay, but i missed red crossbill and Ron's
        say's phoebe at Deer Park subdivision (west Redlands). my bonus this
        afternoon = all three bluebird species across from Deer Park at Curecanti
        subdivision. my total is now 118 species for january.

        does anyone have other suggestions for say's phoebe? or for any other
        species i listed as missing?

        thanks again,
        Larry

        p.s. when i said i was testing my limits - skill, endurance,
        communications - please add LUCK! to this list. =)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 22, 2006
          ~~~ UPDATE #2 ~~~~~~~~

          thanks to Jim Beatty I added three species yesterday... ring-billed gull,
          ruddy duck, acorn woodpecker (and now i see that he's posted a field
          sparrow!)

          thanks to Dave Gallinat I added barn owl and say's phoebe this afternoon

          my January 2006 list is now at 123 species and i still have a few more birds
          to chase, but the list of possible new species is in exponential decline.
          note - i've tried a lot of locations for red crossbill with no luck, and
          evening
          grosbeak may be another species i won't find.

          Re: recent scrub jay postings... from my wanderings around western colorado
          this month, they are indeed few and far between, i.e., widely scattered and
          in low numbers. it's also the first time in several years we haven't had
          any at our feeders. i would agree they are unusually stealth this winter in
          western colorado, along with a few other species.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
            ~~~~ UPDATE #3 FINI ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            NOTE: Herein, BWC2004 refers to Birds of Western Colorado Plateau and Mesa
            Country, by Righter, Levad, Dexter, Potter (2004)

            White-tailed ptarmigan in winter plumage was January species #124 for me,
            thank you Art! this bird (n=1) was ca. 2.5 miles above the x-ski hut on
            Willows Run at Ashcroft Ski Area south of Aspen, and was easily worth the
            blister i got on my big toe! ey yi yi!!

            I managed to find a few more species before month's end, e.g., harris's
            sparrow (thank you Andrea!), brown-headed cowbird, and yesterday's
            species on the last day of the month was red crossbill, three birds in
            Silverthorne. So, i finished January 2006 with 127 species, my cumulative
            January species list (since 1998) is now 154 species for western Colorado,
            and 11 of those species were added with this year's effort.

            Sincere thanks to all of you for reporting good birds, whether to WSBN or to
            me personally ~or~ through the grapevine... Ron Lambeth, Al Levantin, Rich
            Levad, Jason Beason, Kim Potter, Art Dahl, Jim Beatty, Dave Gallinat, Andrea
            Robinsong, Forrest Luke, Dona Hilkey, Tom McConnell, Ronda Woodward, Kathy
            Kuyper, Alf Giles, Laurel Williams, Judy Ballice, Don Campbell, John
            Welfelt, John Barcus, and help! probably others I am forgetting!

            Some interesting stats to me:

            1. the number of species I found on my own (107) and the number of species
            you helped me find (20).

            2. species found in mesa county (110), and species found elsewhere in
            western colorado (17)

            3. species i missed = species reported during January 2006 (10) + a few
            other permanent residents per BWC2004 (5) = another 15 known species were
            possible during the month

            4. total species that have been reported in western Colorado during January
            per BWC2004 (191) plus species reported since that publication went to press
            (8) = 199 species cumulative over the years for January in western Colorado

            5. but in any given year, maybe 143 species could be expected at a maximum,
            i.e., ca. 72% of all recorded species (extracted from the graphs in
            BWC2004), which is very close to my observed 127 + the 15 species missed,
            i.e., 142 species this year that i am aware of... suggesting a) that
            January 2006 appeared to be an "average" January for species diversity in
            western Colorado, and b) that i snagged 89% of the species known/reported
            for January 2006, with LUCK being a huge factor in this!!

            I needed something exciting to do until our tax statements
            arrived and i could start ambling down that ookie road! For me, January
            2006 is loaded with birding memories, especially of a winter-plumaged
            ptarmigan who snuck up on me from behind while i was pondering so many busy
            little tracks around the willow tips protruding thru the snow above
            Ashcroft!! a GHOST in the snow! =)

            I love the THRILL of the chase! even more, perhaps, I love the
            UNEXPECTED, e.g., of looking for a staked out mockingbird, missing the
            mockingbird, but coming away with a merlin!

            ALL: Sincere Thanks again for engaging me in my passion-turned-obsession!!

            Larry Arnold
            Grand Junction CO

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
              Actually, since publication of BWC2004, I am aware of the following species
              having been reported somewhere in western Colorado during the month of
              January...

              cackling goose
              yellow-billed loon
              american bittern
              osprey
              band-tailed pigeon
              anna's hummingbird
              costa's hummingbird
              williamson's sapsucker
              sedge wren
              sage thrasher
              orange-crowned wobbler
              chipping sparrow

              I'll work with Coen on capturing data like these, i.e., specific dates and
              locations for new records.

              Although i'd rather be birding in Costa Rica! ;-)