Divide Creek Hawkwatch

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2010
      Conditions look very good for Sunday's Divide Creek Hawkwatch.  Wind is forcast to be 4 - 9 mph shifting from SSW to WSW as the day progresses, westerly breezes are the best at the hawkwatch site.  Sky should be clear all day with a high in the mid 70's, very nice.  Participants should meet at the Silt I-70 exit at the SW corner "park and ride" lot.  We will leave for the hawkwatch site at 9AM sharp.  Bring: binocs, lunch, refreshments, a comfortable chair, sunscreen.  Don't bring pets (sorry even well behaved pets can be a problem).

      The excellent weather forecast gives us a chance for a record setting day!

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs

    • Tom & Kay McConnell
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011
        Kay & I visited the Divide Creek Hawkwatch site on Uncle Bob Mountain (Mesa) today for a few hours.  Weather was pleasant and birding was fair until storm clouds came in a 1130, the temp dropped, and the wind died.  No hawks after 1130am.

        Start 930am, Temp 55’, Sky 0 (Clear), Wind 2

        Cooper’s Hawk          1
        Northern Goshawk    1
        Red-tailed Hawk       9
            RTHA Juvi.             1
        American Kestrel      1

        End 1230pm, Temp 58’, Sky 4 (Mostly Cloudy), Wind 2

        Other landbirds around included many Steller’s Jays and Ravens, Clark’s Nutcracker, Mountain Bluebirds, “Myrtle” Warbler, Chipping and “Mtn” White-crowned Sparrows.  We saw a Turkey Vulture on the way out near Silt, my latest date around here Oct 2, 2008 also at Silt.

        The aspens were awesome!

        Tom & Kay