HARTS BASIN

  • Evelyn Horn
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2010
      August 23, 8 PM
      The water level continues to drop.
      But!
      At least 40 Great Blue Heron
      50 White Pelican
      70 Western Grebe.
      AND 8 SANDHILL CRANES :-)

      Evey Horn
    • Evelyn Horn
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2012
        Thursday, May 24.  9 PM

         The northeast pond is gone, the northwest pond is marshy.

        4 White American Pelicans
        Pintail, Redhead, Mallard
        Ring-billed Gulls (snatching air-borne insects along the saltgrass shoreline)
        100+ Canadas, but no goslings in sight
        one pair of Eared Grebe
        Coots as usual

        of note: Western Grebe nesting along the inlet willows
        At least 2 dozen pair nest-building in the wet-weed patch, totally exposed
            to winds and flying predators !!!!!
        I've never seen this behavior before !

        Evey
      • Evelyn Horn
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10
          Friday, April 10, 2015. 9 PM

          15 cranes at the Basin tonight. Our total is now 10,636.

          And 6 Marbled Godwit!
          Evey Horn