Coop fledges, extreme eastern edge of Delta County

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2010
      Following up on a report of an accip nest, I rode up towards Interocean Pass today south of Paonia, and located a Cooper's hawk nest, one adult, and two recently fledged chicks.  The chicks were in the flap-between-trees stage.  One flapped out into the talus slope and perched in the rocks until I decided I should herd it back into some tree cover.  They are surrounded by chipmunks, squirrels, and pika, so they should be fat and happy.  I put up several shots of one of the chicks at www.photobucket.com/paoniabirds

      Lots o leopard frogs out and about today as well.   Mushrooms were out up there too!

      Happy birding!

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia, Delta County.