Highline, etc

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2010

      Missy and I took a little spin out to Highline this morning, mainly to road-test the new tires on my Coyote (4-runner), oh, and to check for birds.  ;-)  Water level is up due to recent rain, not much mudflats, saw no shorebirds at all.  There were 7 gulls, one a Ring-billed and the others I didn’t have patience to figure out (oops).  Alexis wasn’t there, but we talked to the other staff, and see they are in need of better field guides... so I am going to get them a copy of Sibley and a copy of BOWC so they will have a better idea of when bird species should be expected, e.g., Loggerhead vs. Northern shrike.  Does GVAS have money for books for this purpose?  If not, I will buy them copies, because they are interested in what they are seeing.  Same for the State Park at Fruita.  The ranger at Highline (Alan Martinez) remembered all the visitors they had for the Vermillion flycatcher two years ago, and I think that elevated their interest in birds in general.

      The osprey tree is GONE!  They said it was hit by lightening last week.  Alan said he is attempting to replace it with a raptor platform of sorts, because he knows that tree was often used by several raptor species.

      Hardly any birds on Highline or Mack Mesa, just these: osprey 1 (on a pole eating fish), Great-horned owl 1 (at Mack Mesa), western grebe 2, no ducks or geese and darn few other sp.  We saw one other Osprey in the area of O Road ponds.

      In Fruita, a few McGrackles and Cormorants, c’est une.

      Redlands Parkway ponds, 6 Lesser yellowlegs plus the usuals