Nucla birds

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16, 2010
      Greetings,
      Have been visiting the Nucla sewer ponds lately to check out the evening bird life. There are lots of swallows of all species and nighthawks. Tonight, I was able to find one male Lesser Nighthawk. While watching it fly about the ponds a Peregrine Falcon came in hit a Common Nighthawk. It fell into one of the ponds. After three passes finally the falcon was able to snatch the nighthawk from the pond.
      Other birds of interest in the area are Wood Duck, Ruddy Duck, Sandhill Crane, White-faced Ibis, Lesser Yellowlegs, Wilson's Phalarope and many other common species.
      Great storms in the area today which gave us lots of rain. We are going out mushrooming tomorrow. Wet years bring out the fungus.
      Coen and Brenda
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2011
        Greetings,
        Lots of birds this morning around Nucla and close to town. Best species were Western Grebe, Greater Yellowlegs, Long-billed Dowitcher, Ring-billed Gull, loads of swallows, American Pipit, and Chipping Sparrows in a large flock.
        Biggest surprise, still no hummingbirds of any kind period. They are late this year, very late.
        Good birding,
        Coen
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2011
          Greetings,
          Today at the feeders we had White-breasted Nuthatch, Brown Creeper, Bewick's Wren, Lesser Goldfinch and many common species.  There is a Say's Phoebe in town and a Sandhill Crane just out of town.
          Mild winter weather has many hawks and falcons looking for food close to town or around the ranches where there are lots of birds and rodents.
          Good birding,
          Coen and Brenda
        • bill harris
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2011
            Say's Phoebe also spotted at the Bridges in Montrose.
            Not sure if the species was noted during bird count here.
            Bill Harris
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2015
              Greetings,
              I think we have got all the bugs worked out with our new computer system. Thanks to all of you that responded when I asked if I was making contact via wsbn.
              We have been birding locally. Yesterday we drove to Miramonte to see shorebirds. Present were, American Avocets, Killdeers, Solitary Sandpiper, Least Sandpipers, and Wilson Phalarope (16). One Black Phoebe was southeast of Norwood in San Miguel County at over 7000 feet elevation.
              Today near Nucla we found 6 species of warblers, all expected.
              Migration is in full swing.  Since 1 August, around Nucla, we have tallied over 100 species. We are overdue for a good rare bird to make a showing somewhere.
              Coen and Brenda