Redlands Parkway North pond

  • Bob Bradley
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 15, 2010
      Judging from Larry's morning post, it wouldn't be worth going there in the p.m. I don't know what brought them in, but 2 Black Terns were there late p.m. Also 2 Lesser Yellowlegs and the "resident" Killdeer and Spotted Sandpipers.

      Bob Bradley
      Grand Junction
    • Bob Bradley
      Message 2 of 15 , May 10, 2011
        Today there was Snowy Egret (1), Black-necked Stilt (2), Spotted Sadpiper (1), and many swallows, including Tree, Bank, and Rough-winged.

        Bob Bradley
        Grand Junction
      • Bob Bradley
        Message 3 of 15 , May 23, 2011
          Today there were 2 adult Forster's Terns foraging and 2 2nd winter Ring-billed Gull flyovers.

          Bob Bradley
          Grand Junction
        • Bob Bradley
          Message 4 of 15 , May 27, 2011
            Today ther was 1 Great Egret and 1 Eastern Kingbird, the latter being harassed by a pair of Westerns.

            Bob Bradley
            Grand Junction
          • Bob Bradley
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 20, 2012
              There was a pair of Lesser Scaup today, along with a pair of Killdeer. Ho Hum, you say? At least it was different from the usual Ring-necks and Mallards. Also a FOY Spotted Towhee in my yard today..

              Bob Bradley
              Grand Junction
            • Bob Bradley
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 5, 2012
                If you thought 2 sandpipers were a challenge, how about 5? This morning I found 5 of these birds in the same general area on the north side of the pond. They all had dark legs, and all seemed to have wing and tail lengths about equal, which eliminates Baird's (and White-rumped). I'm also not considering Dunlin, as they are expected considerably later in the season, if at all. That really leaves us with the 2 small calidrids, Western and Semipalmated. At least 3 of these appear to be Westerns, including the one with the tangled foot. One of them appeared to be a bit smaller and with a shorter bill, with an apparent deeper base and a blunter tip.
                This bird also seemed to have a more uniform scaly pattern on the back. As many of these characteristics are subjective, I think more observations and opinions are in order. Nevertheless, I suggest that this latter bird is a Semipalmated.

                By the way, a Lesser Yellowlegs was in the area too.

                Bob Bradley
                Grand Junction
              • aesein.alvera
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 6, 2012
                  I stopped by on my way to the office this morning and took a look. Right as I pulled up a group of shorebirds took off from the pond. I hopped out quickly and got a look with my binoculars. The three that I could see the best looked like the Westerns. There were several more with them that were too far away for me to get a good look. I watched them as they headed north and disappeared.
                  After that I did a thorough check of the pond and only found Killdeers and one Spotted remaining.
                  Jackson Trappett

                  --- In wsbn@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bradley" <thrasher@...> wrote:

                  > If you thought 2 sandpipers were a challenge, how about 5? This morning I found 5 of these birds in the same general area on the north side of the pond. They all had dark legs, and all seemed to have wing and tail lengths about equal, which eliminates Baird's (and White-rumped). I'm also not considering Dunlin, as they are expected considerably later in the season, if at all. That really leaves us with the 2 small calidrids, Western and Semipalmated. At least 3 of these appear to be Westerns, including the one with the tangled foot. One of them appeared to be a bit smaller and with a shorter bill, with an apparent deeper base and a blunter tip.
                  > This bird also seemed to have a more uniform scaly pattern on the back. As many of these characteristics are subjective, I think more observations and opinions are in order. Nevertheless, I suggest that this latter bird is a Semipalmated.
                  >
                  > By the way, a Lesser Yellowlegs was in the area too.
                  >
                  > Bob Bradley
                  > Grand Junction

                • Bob Bradley
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
                    I revisited the pond today and saw only about 10 shorebirds, one of them being what I am calling a Dunlin. This bird had one lame leg. The legs were definitely black, however, which eliminates Stilt Sandpiper. It was basically a gray/brown bird, the brown showing well on the breast. It had a heavy based long black bill, decurved at the tip. With raised wing the tail and rump were mostly white with only a apparent very narrow dark line in the center. It did not have the dark-tipped tail of the Culew Sandpiper When the bird flew in among a group of Western Sandpipers, the considerably larger size was apparent. The bird appears to be a non-breeding plumaged adult. I was not able to get any pictures.

                    Bob Bradley

                  • Bob Bradley
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 27, 2012
                      This pond is not stagnant. It changes by the day. Today I scanned the peeps and one larger bird, expecting to see the Dunlin again. But this bird had long greenish yellow legs, a Stilt Sandpiper. It appeared to be a nonbreeding plumaged adult.

                      Bob Bradley
                      gj
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 27, 2012

                        Bob, great bird for that little pond!  Are you keeping a separate bird list for that pond, or the several ponds in that area?  If so I’d love a copy!  Maybe it’ll pull in another Sabine’s gull, Red phalarope, or something?  BTW, RPS pond just across Redlands Parkway had several shorebirds this morning as well, peeps and a yellowlegs at least.  The gravel pit pond next to RPN pond had two Solitary sandpipers on the north end along that sand/mud bar, fussing with a lot of Solitary sandpipers.  Green Heron pond had more peeps than the other ponds combined, and yet another yellowlegs.  At Ela, the small pond that still has water and a bit of mud, held another Solitary sandpiper.

                        Wondering if there are other accessible mud flats across Grand Valley, and if anyone has been checking them... thanks,

                        Larry

                        This pond is not stagnant. It changes by the day. Today I scanned the peeps and one larger bird, expecting to see the Dunlin again. But this bird had long greenish yellow legs, a Stilt Sandpiper. It appeared to be a nonbreeding plumaged adult.

                        Bob Bradley

                        gj

                      • Steven Mlodinow
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 27, 2012
                          Greetings All
                          Having struggled with aging Stilt Sands this time of year in eastern WA, methinks that most of the pallid birds this time of year are fading juvs. Adults tend to still show some of their breeding plumage and look a bit ragged, much like many adult humans :-)
                          Steve Mlodinow
                          Longmont

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 3, 2013
                            The recent warming trend has opened much of this pond, and the ducks have noticed. This afternoon produced the following:

                                Canada Goose, 2
                                Gadwall, 3
                                Mallard, 15
                                Green-winged Teal, 2
                                Canvasback, 4
                                Ring-necked Duck, 32
                                Bufflehead, 2

                            Bob Bradley
                          • Bob Bradley
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 30, 2013
                              The shorebirds are showing up. Today there were 2 Am. Avocets and 2 Greater Yellowlegs, along with 3 or 4 Western Sandpipers which have been showing up for several days.

                              Bob Bradley,
                              Gr. Jct.
                            • Bob Bradley
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
                                A bit late to post, but yesterday there was 1 Greater Yellowlegs and 2 Long-billed Dowitchers.

                                Bob Bradley, GJ