Craig area migrants

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2010

      Hey All,

      I finally made it out to do a little birding around Craig this morning. I found that passerine migration is in full swing and a few shorebirds are moving as well.

      The highlight this morning at Loudy-Simpson Park was a brightly-colored male Tennessee Warbler in fall plumage. Runners-up were a FOS Townsend’s Warbler and a Northern Waterthrush. Other migrants included Wilson’s (15), Orange-crowned (1) and Yellow (20) Warblers and several yellowthroats. A Lazuli Bunting and Rufous Hummingbirds were also moving through.

      Just in the nick of time, mudflats are beginning to develop on the County Maintenance Shop (CMS) pond along 1st Street in Craig (on the near shore). A LB Dowitcher, Baird’s (3), Least (2) and Spotted (1) Sandpipers were present, along with five Lesser Yellowlegs .

      Last evening (Aug 13) I was on Black Mountain north of Craig. In the general vicinity of the intersection of FR 110 and the Sawmill Creek Campground I had at least four different Three-toed Woodpeckers along with other alpine species such as GC Kinglet and Hammond’s Flycatcher.

      Good Birding,

      Forrest Luke