squishing across the mud, sinking into the mud...

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2010

      SHORT VERSION OF THIS POSTING –

      At Harts (Fruitgrowers) this morning - killdeer 100s, pelican 35+, cormorant 10+, grebe sp, ibis sp 5+, snipe 4, wilson’s phalarope 3, spotted sandpiper many, baird’s sandpiper 3+, solitary sandpiper 1, plus a mixed flock of sandpipers departing

      At Cheney this morning – 7 lesser yellowlegs and a few more ibis, assorted ducks, 2 golden eagles

      Yesterday along Blue Heron Trail – Tennessee warbler

      UNABRIDGED VERSION –

      This morning Andrea Robinsong joined me for some birding “fun” at Harts...  our first test of survival was to crawl down off the causeway without killing ourselves or our scopes, and our second test of survival was to cross the mud flats for a close enough view of the shorebirds to have any hope of identifying them.  At one point we started sinking and had dim hopes of returning to dry land.  Such are the hazards of birding, which could be a whole ‘nuther discussion, eh?  With no stairway down off the causeway, and no boardwalk out across the mud, we must not have been in Arizona, Texas, or Florida, where birders are more likely to be cared for.

      We didn’t keep a bird list, but we did see killdeer 100s, pelican 35+, cormorant 10+, grebe sp, ibis sp 5+, snipe 4, wilson’s phalarope 3, spotted sandpiper, baird’s sandpiper 3+, solitary sandpiper 1, and a mixed flock of sandpipers that were gone before we had any chance of identifying them, though they sounded like peeps to me.

      I stopped at Cheney on the way home and was happy to find 7 lesser yellowlegs and a few more ibis, was scanning for more stuff when I heard what sounded like a huge squadron of ring-necked ducks dropping from the sky at high speed - you know this sound, right?  Looking up I saw two golden eagles in a stoop, directly above me, and of course they scattered everything from the near shore that I was studying.  Both eagles pulled up and circled before departing.  Forget the shorebirds - that was exciting!

      Yesterday morning along Blue Heron Trail I found a Tennessee warbler, my first in western Colorado since 06 May 2008.

      More migrants please!