birding along U.S. 40

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2010

      Good morning from River City!

      Missy and I hooked up with Forrest Luke yesterday - 04 June - in his habitat for great looks at Sharp-tailed grouse on one of the Trapper Mine leks; ca. 15 birds were there, together with a nearby subadult Golden eagle who was looking to sign up for lek membership.  ;-)

      Thence eastward to Yampa River Preserve, where the songsters blew me away.  I had forgotten how delightful that place is, being the only place I know of in western CO with such a high concentration of woodpecker sp, flycatcher sp, thrush sp (including Veery and Swainson’s), warbler sp, sparrow sp, vireos, catbirds, chickadees, nuthatches, towhees, grosbeaks, etc...  an assemblage of birds that would normally/seemingly require visits to several habitats/locations in order to find all of those species.

      Back (westward) to TNC Carpenter Ranch for a few other “year birds” and a relaxing lunch at their shaded picnic tables.

      Thence hooking up with Forrest again at YRSWA for Bobolink and a couple other year birds.  This place indeed looks promising for shorebirds and “wading birds” and somehow I have to sneakily get it moved southward into Mesa County!  ;-)

      Finishing at Loudy-Simpson with Least flycatcher.  Woohoo!

      I was hoping for five year birds and came home with ten!  How often does that happen?

      Forrest, thanks again for showing us around and for some great birds, eh?

      Larry

      GJ