new (office) yard bird, Paonia, Delta County

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2010
      I had a gray catbird on the ground behind the office this morning, near the feeder.  First one I have seen down here in town, although they appear to be numerous in the willows up higher this year.  It was gone before I could sprint to the truck, get the camera, collapse trying to breathe, jog back inside, put the camera on the tripod, and get to the window again.

      Also, most of the grosbeaks left, since I didn't feed them for four days last weekend.  There were a few around, a few finches, and one just-fledged house sparrow this afternoon when I checked.  Still a tanager here, the one with the bad eye.

      Swainson's hawk at Overland Reservoir, 9900 feet in Delta County yesterday, and another on top of Black Mesa in Gunnison County today, along with a brief glimpse of a goshawk whose nest I couldn't find before the wind scared me out of the woods.  Aspens are still only about half leafed out up high.

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia and thereabouts