Best birds from Montezuma County and the festival

    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2010
    Greetings,
    Brenda and I led three birding trips and did one program for the Cortez Birding Festival. We were able to locate 124 species near Cortez on the three half-day trips.
    Uncommon to rare species were Clark's Grebe, Black-crowned Night-Heron, White-faced Ibis, Bald Eagle (nest with young), Peregrine Falcon, Virginia Rail, Semipalmated Plover, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Phalarope, Franklin's and California Gulls, Lewis Woodpecker, Olive-sided Flycatcher (first of year? on 14 May), Western Wood-Pewee (first of year? on 14 May), Eastern Kingbird (first of year? on 15 May), Pygmy Nuthatch (common), Brown Creeper, Northern Mockingbird, ten warbler species including Grace's Warbler, an adult male Summer Tanager, Blue Grosbeak (first of year? 16 May) and Great-tailed Grackle.
    A very nice mix of reservoirs and many natural habitats makes spring birding very attractive.
    Dennis, I very much enjoy your trip reports from Montezuma County. Watch out for the people that run the festival show. They are searching for birders to help with their show and you are most certainly qualified.

    Two birders from the festival followed us home. We promised them Sage Thasher, Brewer's and Sage Sparrow. We found all three in Dry Creek Basin at 5:00 PM. Warning! Not an easy feat in the heat of the day, however.

    We are not going to the CFO convention. We are going atlasing and will do so most of the summer.

    Attached is the updated First Supplement of Birds of Western Colorado. I am recommending that those of you that have a copy of Birds of Western Colorado make a copy of the supplement and place it in the back of the book.

    Good birding,
    Coen and Brenda