birding the Delta CBC

  • Bill / Cheryl Day
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2005
      The results for the Delta CBC should be up later. Bill and I saw some good,
      though not rare birds. We bird just a small area, it is private property,
      100 acres, but with a mile of river and 36 ponds. Very productive except for
      this year with the weather in the teens. I was cold from the time we started
      walking at 9:30 until about noon, it finally started to warm up. And the
      birds didn't like either, because they did not appear in the numbers we were
      used to.

      But we saw or heard 20 marsh wrens; and 213 song sparrows. And after lunch,
      I stayed inside to do a feeder count (big wimp) and there were 26 Gambel's
      quail and to my surprise - two white-throated sparrows! Which must mean they
      are wintering over. When the owner came back, he said "oh those guys, yeah,
      I've seen them before".

      We left and had one more driving route to do, and practically in the dark we
      saw one female yellow-headed blackbird in a group of about 200 red-winged
      blackbirds. Nice way to end the day.

      We went to Art & Mara Hertel's house for food and compilation. They have had
      a western screech owl just once in their owl box, and of course he wasn't
      there on count day. But the next morning at 6:30 am, they looked out there
      window, and there was the little guy in his box.

      An enjoyable, albeit cold as hell day.

      Cheryl Day
      Hotchkiss