lewo

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2005
      I'm actually feeding a Lewis' woodpecker at my house, for the first time
      ever.
      They used to try to nest in one of Rich's owl boxes but were always
      driven off by starlings... but they have never been regular yard birds.
      I first saw a Lewo on my porch feeding at the suet log [ where it
      appears to be a regular] at the end of November. While I was away the
      suet log was quickly depleted. [ I have had to load it every day since I
      came home.]
      Sunday I was surprised to see a large dark bird hanging upside down on
      a sunflower seed screen feeder, successfully pulling sunflower seeds
      from the basket. Apparently this beauty figured out how to continue to
      feed after the log was depleted. Really fun to have one of my very
      favorite birds hanging - literally- in the yard!
      andrea robinsong
      hotchkiss