Confluence Park 12-19

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2005
      I stopped by Delta's Confluence Park yesterday in fowl weather. I was
      not here for the CBC and have not seen results so I thought I'd mention
      some highlights.
      Sandhill cranes...the 120 or so cranes that we have been seeing
      throughout the past 5 or 6 winters are back.
      I was able to count 116 as they flew up the river...then down again
      There were 7 adult snow geese with 7 juvies or possibly 5 juvies and 2
      greater whitefronted geese...or possibly a blue or 2. The light was
      terrible and I had difficulty seeing.
      1 mute swan...a first report for Delta County? yuk
      no unusual ducks that I could make out; in fact I only saw Mallards
      no unusual other birds either, other than 1 catbird.
      I did see a marsh wren with many song sparrows...I understand that no
      one found that wren on the GJ CBC. No Bewicks although I'm feeding one
      on one of Larry Arnold's great suet/peanut butter logs in Hotchkiss.
      There were several birds of about 30 species that I was able to find but
      the overall numbers of individuals was way down. from last year
      as was that from the year before
      as was that from the year before
      as was that from the year before...yada yada yada

      andrea robinsong, Hotchkiss
      ps does anyone know when the Hotchkiss count is? I've been gone and
      don't know....