RAPTORS, RAPTORS EVERYWHERE!

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2005
      Bill & Cheryl Day and I cruised the Scenic Mesa and other parts of the Hotchkiss CBC circle this morning. It seemed everywhere we looked there were birds of prey! We saw a total of nine species of raptors.

      Here is the list:
      Ferruginous Hawk 1
      Rough-legged Hawk 3 (before today, I had not seen a roughie in Delta Co)
      Prairie Falcon 2
      Golden Eagle 5
      Bald Eagle 2
      Cooper's Hawk 2
      Northern Harrier 2
      Red-tailed Hawk ~8
      American Kestrel ~? many
      *we had one quick look at an ALL-WHITE mystery bird which flushed near the road, went low into a stand of Junipers and we never saw it again. All of us kept wondering "what the heck was that?"!

      Jason Beason
      Paonia