Records, fall reporting period, 2005.

  • coenbrenda
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2005
      The following records are sightings that will potentially
      change "Birds of Western Colorado". Look these records over for
      errors. In a few days I will enter them in a database so the records
      can be used by anyone who has an interest. At some point I will type
      up an edition that can be copied and placed in your copy of Birds of
      Western Colorado. In a short two years we already have nearly 400
      records in western Colorado that has caused changes text and
      bargraphs. Birding is such a dynamic process! I guess that is what
      keeps our interest.

      Trumpeter Swan; 21 November 05; Catamount Reservoir, ROU, Tom
      Litteral. We have TRSW listed as casual until December first but need
      to look at records to determine if a change is needed.

      Black Scoter; 14 November 05; West of Craig, MOF, Dean DiTomasso.
      This is the 9th record for this duck.

      Black Vulture; This record from Stagecoach Resevoir, ROU, and needs
      to go through CRBRC for acceptance. I don't have much in terms of
      details of this sighting.

      Black-necked Stilt; 27 August 05, Fruitgrowers Reservoir, DEL, Andrea
      Robinsong. BNST is casual except in spring migration.

      Willet; 7 September 05, Fruitgrowers Reservoir, DEL, Jason Beason.
      WILL are casual after mid August.

      Long-billed Curlew; 29 August 05, Highline SP, MES, Larry Arnold.
      Long-billed Curlew; 27 August 05, Fruitgrowers Reservoir, DEL, Larry
      Arnold. LBCU is listed casual in the seasonal bargraph from mid May
      to mid August. It should be change to rare for that period due to
      several additional summer records over the last three years.

      Ruddy Turnstone; 13 August 05, Cheney Reservoir, MES, Larry Arnold.
      RUTU is a casual species with a total of eight records.

      Stilt Sandpiper; 21 August 05, Fruitgrowers Reservoir, DEL, Vic
      Zerbi. Nine is a record large number for this species.

      Red-necked Phalarope; 14 August 05, Elkhead Reservoir, MOF, Forrest
      Luke. RNPH are casual fall migrants until the first of September.

      Red Phalarope; 10-11 September 05, Elkhead Reservoir, MOF,ROU,
      Forrest Luke. This was the 6th record for REPH.
      Red Phalarope; 14 October 05, Fruitgrowers Reservoir, MOBs. This was
      the 7th record for REPH.

      Franklin's Gull; 3 November 05, Spring Creek Reservoir, EAG, Connie
      Kogler. FRGU are casual after the third week in October. Does anyone
      have a later date for this particular gull.

      Caspian Tern; 3 September 05, Vega SP, MES, Larry Arnold.
      Caspian Tern; 9 August 05, Highline SP, MES, Larry Arnold.
      Caspian Tern; 9 July 05(received info late), Corn Lake, MES, Bob
      Bradley. Due to several records in the last three summers the
      seasonal bargraph for Caspian Tern should be changed to rare from
      early June until mid August.

      Black Swift; 9 October 05, Delta, DEL, Andrea Robinsong. Andrea
      reported 400 BLSW at a time inwhich this swift if casual. I will
      share some literary research I have done on BLSW in a couple of days.

      Empid; 22 October 05, Pastorius Reservoir, LAP, Larry Arnold. All
      empids are casual at this time of year.

      Red-eyed Vireo; 26 August 05, Craig, MOF, Forrest Luke. There are
      only a couple of recent August records for this species.

      Nasville Warbler; 14 August 05, Lone Cone, SAM, George Steele.
      Nasville Warbler; 15 August 05, Lone Cone, SAM, George Steele.
      Several other mid-August records is supporting data to change the
      rare status for August one week forward to the second week in August
      where presently it is casual.

      Northern Parula; 26 November 05, Paonia, DEL, Greg Hanscom. This is
      sixth record.

      Black-throated Blue Warbler; 18 September 05, Craig, MOF, Forrest
      Luke. This is the 6th record.
      Black-throated Blue Warbler; 8 October 05, Grand Jct., MES, Ronda
      Woodward. This is the 7th record.

      Black-throated Gray Warbler; 29 September 05, Nucla, MON, Coen
      Dexter. The date is a late record for BTYW.

      Townsend's Warbler; 14 August 05, Raggeds, GUN, Jason Beason. TOWA is
      casual in the second week of August.
      Townsend's Warbler; 8 October 05, Craig, MOF, Dean DiTomasso. This
      species is casual after first of October.

      Blackpoll Warbler; 3-5 September 05, Craig, MOF, Forrest Luke. This
      is the eighth record.

      Prothonotary Warbler; 11 October 05, Blue Lake, EAG, James Biebl.
      This is only the second record for this warbler.

      Painted Redstart; 16-17 November 05, New Castle, GAR, Fisher. This is
      the third record. Will have more details of the other two PARE
      records with the Black Swift report.

      Chipping Sparrow; 1 November 05, Crawford, DEL, Cheryl Day. This
      sparrow is casual after then end of October.

      Black-throated Sparrow; 11 September 05, Rabbit Valley, MES, Larry
      Arnold. BTSP is casual after August.

      Grasshopper Sparrow; 12 September 05, Nucla, MON, Coen Dexter. This
      was the fifth record for GRSP.

      Fox Sparrow; 5 November 05, No Name, GAR, Tom McConnell. FOSP are
      casual from the first of October until the first of April, at least
      it should be.

      Look this info over. My dates may need some help. Send me the
      corrections and I will send out an amended form.