Junco Study

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2005

      I counted juncos today and the task proved difficult as the birds were always moving around.  After trying to tally the birds without success I decided to watch my hillside for fifteen minutes.  My final totals for each subspecies today are for the maximum number of birds seen at any one time during the observation period.  This is the same protocol used for the Christmas Bird Count, so the same birds are not counted over and over.  I counted at about 1030AM when lots of birds are around and plan to count once a week throughout the “Junco season”.  My totals today are Slate-colored 2, Oregon 12, Pink-sided 3, Gray-headed 2.

      Thanks to all who send in data for this study.  The movements of juncos subspecies should prove interesting, both in elevation and latitude   Please send input and comments.

      Tom