Birding Belize

  • Robin Nicholoff
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2010
      Gretchen & I recently returned from 10 days of great birding in
      Belize. We saw nearly 200 species, most of which we found and ID'ed
      on our own, mostly in the jungle, rain forest, and highlands, thus
      few shore/sea birds. Watched a Tody Mot-Mot dart out and grab a Blue
      Morpho butterfly. It took him awhile to consume it. Gretchen
      spotted a jaguar track at Cockscomb and we found tapir and ocelot
      tracks at Mountain Pine Ridge. Spent time but failed to find the
      Lovely Cotinga or Orange-breasted Falcon. My favorites included
      Great Curassow, Bat Falcon, Sungrebe, all the Trogons and Tanagers,
      and a spectacular immature Crested Eagle atop a tree on a tiny cay.
      Also saw a Howler Monkey fall 25 feet out of a tree. The next day we
      were canoeing and a large iguana did the same thing.

      Happy birding,

      Robin Nicholoff