Turkey Vultures

  • Virginia Simmons
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 6 12:18 PM

       2 Turkey Vultures soaring near Del Norte today - the 1st of the season. Mobs of cranes at MVNWR, especially at pulloff on County Road 8 South.

      Virginia Simmons

    • Bob Bradley
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 30 3:39 PM
        We get our birds a bit earlier than some of you, maybe because we are downstream on the Colorado R. from many. I had my first 2 birds of the year on 3/25, the same date as first seen last year. The roost tree across from my house had 14 birds on 3/27, 18 on 3/28, and 31 on 3/29.

        Bob Bradley
        Grand Junction
      • Bob Bradley
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 3, 2010
          They kept coming in to the roost tree across the street; my count was 88 at that point with at least 2 more in the air. That made 90! Then they all started to leave, apparently to roost elsewhere. Seven returned to "my tree" for the night.

          Bob Bradley
          Grand Junction
        • Bob Bradley
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4, 2010
            They continue, 72 in "my tree" tonight.

            Bob Bradley
            Grand Junction
          • VIRGINIA SIMMONS Owner
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 18, 2011

              The Turkey Vultures that normally roost at the nursing home in Del Norte in large numbers must be getting ready to head south. By mid-afternoon they are congregating in the trees there.
              Virginia Simmons
            • Bob Bradley
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 18, 2011

                I have also experienced a gathering of the vultures in the roosting tree across the street from me. Two nights ago I believe there were at least 50 birds kettling over the area, then finally settling in. It has dropped off to about 20-30 birds which is slightly above the number for the nesting season.

                Bob Bradley
                Grand Junction

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 10 5:39 PM
                  The first two of the season are back to the roosting tree across from my house.

                  Bob Bradley
                  Grand Junction
                • Bob Bradley
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 27 9:31 AM
                    Fifty plus birds were in the roost tree across from my house last night.

                    Bob Bradley
                    Grand Junction
                  • bill harris
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 27 7:11 PM
                      Saw my first vulture of the season over Montrose last evening.
                      Had been in AZ the 10 days prior, so not sure when the first vultures
                      arrived - good birding in AZ.  During a foray up Escalante Canyon today
                      saw a good variety of birds - residents and migrants, incluidng a Black Phoebe
                      near Capt. Smith's cabin!!  Just some more evidence of the Phoebe's presence
                      in western CO.
                      Bill Harris
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 25 9:45 AM
                        Two Turkey Vultures soaring over Connected Lakes at 10:40am.

                        Dave Trappett
                        Grand Junction

                        Sent from my iPod
                      • Bob Bradley
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 25 6:41 PM
                          34 birds counted this evening in the roost tree across from my house.

                          Bob Bradley, GJ