RE: [wsbn] Tundra Swans

  • nic korte
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2010
      Hi Dave, Larry Arnold, Andrea Robinsong, Rob Modica and I all got views of the yellow tear drop through good scopes. That's a clincher, but I also have a swan i.d. key that we went through too. There appeared to be two immatures; those were not definitely i.d.ed--but the two adults were tundra swans.
      Nic

      To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com
      From: dentrada@...
      Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 18:40:31 +0000
      Subject: [wsbn] Tundra Swans

      In response to Leon Stigen's post regarding the swans, I'll have to admit that I did not ID the swans either.  They were too far away, sitting and had their heads tucked in their wings.  I also relied on previous ids and should added that information to my original post.  However, I have not added them to my list for this year yet and I will wait until I get a personal ID.

      Dave Trappett
      Grand Junction

    • Forrest Luke
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2010

        There were four Tundra Swans today at the CMS Pond off First Street in Craig. Visits to other local ponds and reservoirs did not hold much of interest.

        Forrest Luke

      • Forrest Luke
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 10, 2010

          The four Tundra Swans were still present at the CMS Pond in Craig this evening. Otherwise a couple of Killdeer and 10 or  so Hooded Mergansers amongst the common dabblers.

          Forrest Luke

        • Forrest Luke
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2013

            This evening there were 23 adult-plumaged Tundra Swans gracing a small pond off Hwy 13 between the south end of Craig and the Yampa River bridge. One swan had a neck band—blue in color with yellow lettering/numbering. Unfortunately, I could not make out the letters or numbers on the neck band. Most of the swans had rust stained heads and necks, but a few did not (birds from different locations?). Also on the pond was a FOS Cinnamon Teal, along with a couple Hooded Mergansers and a suspiciously small Canada-type goose. On the Yampa River nearby, at one of the few spots of open water, were around 25 Barrow’s Goldeneyes. Since they were actively diving, it was impossible to get a precise count.

            It was a nice surprise for a feather finder suffering through a long, mostly birdless winter.

            Forrest Luke

            Craig

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013

              Dave Galinat reports (via Andrea Robinsong) ten swans at Fruitgrowers this morning, no ID on these yet but Andrea is heading over for a closer look..

              Migration rocks!

              Larry

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
                8 Tundra Swans at Fruitgrowers now.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 10, 2015

                  It appears that there are still 13 Tundra Swans hanging around the Craig area. Yesterday Jan Leonard reported 10 at CMS Pond and I had another three at WFMC Ponds. We are not certain if it is the same 13 originally seen about 10 days ago but it is suspicious. Jan took some photos of an adult and a juvenile with deformed bill tips (genetic defect passed onto a new generation?) that I hadn’t noticed before. At any rate it’s nice to have them visiting.

                  Cheers,

                  Forrest Luke

                  Craig