Little Falcon Feeding Time

  • leon stigen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2010
      Hi folks! I drove down to Connected Lakes park and stopped along the river about 3:30 this afternoon on the way. The 4 swans were right where I saw them about 5 days ago--on the near side of the river right before what many of us are calling the "junk house"(I sure hope the owner isn't some closet birdwatcher reading this, ha ha). Anyway, I haven't really had a good look at these birds through a scope so I have been doing something I don't normally do and that is taking other birders' identifications that they are Tundra swans(which they probabably are). I remember back about 15 years or so The Daily Sentinel had a picture of 2 or 3 "Tundra Swans" at Highline Lake on the front page and I went out there and positively identified them (at least to myself) as Trumpeter Swans. So, look close folks.
         Other birds of note: redheads, common mergansers, buffleheads,widgeons, common goldeneyes,green-winged teal, and mallards on the river. Right in front of the Audubon sanctuary, I heard what I was pretty sure was a Hairy woodpecker but it turned out to be a Downy. Anyone can be deceived by the sound of these two birds occasionally in my opinion. I also heard a Great Horned Owl hooting from back in the sanctuary. Then, I saw a merlin feeding on what was probably a small bird on top of a power pole. Right after that, I saw a Kestrel feeding on a mouse in a tree.
         I spoke to a gentleman in the park who just got back from northern New Mexico. He said that he drove through the San Luis valley and saw hundreds of Sandhill Cranes from the road outside of Alamosa and Monte Vista. Hey, those are OUR cranes on their way back so it won't be long before many of us will be making our annual trips to see them at Hart's basin!!!
         Lee Stigen
         Grand Junction