Migrants Inbound

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2010

      Welcome to March!

      The four Tundra Swans being seen along the Colorado River en route to Connected Lakes S.P. were still here yesterday, but gone today.  I looked up and down the river this morning and didn’t find them.  Year-to-year changes in river channels are an interesting thing to witness, eh?

      According to The Birds of Western Colorado (2004), the following species could be arriving in western Colorado over the next few weeks, and some might have already been seen this year: Blue-winged teal, Cinnamon teal, Red-breasted merganser, Horned grebe, Western grebe, Turkey vulture, American avocet, Lesser yellowlegs, Least sandpiper, Baird’s sandpiper, Long-billed dowitcher, Franklin’s gull, California gull, Burrowing owl, Black phoebe, Tree swallow, Sage thrasher, Vesper sparrow, and Sage sparrow.

      Bring on migration!!

      Larry

      GJ