Re: [wsbn] 17 Greater White-fronted Geese! - Delta Co

  • Ron Lambeth
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
      A week ago there were 16 white-fronted geese at Walker State Wildlife Area west of Grand Junction.  Maybe my counting was off by one or one got diverted.  They left in the morning at 7:24 before the other geese headed out for the day's foraging and headed north in a high and serious manner.  AND yesterday on the Audubon field trip the largest group of white geese, surely snow geese and not Ross's (no size differences noted), ever reported over the Grand Valley (I would've wagered) flew over Walker SWA going upriver then wheeled around and flew downstream disappearing in the distance. Dave Price estimated 214 geese and seemed to acknowledge that, if not dead on, it was a low estimate.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
        Hi Ron,
        how fun!

        During the Delta CBC Jason Beason and Jacob Cooper saw 16 GWFG flying high overhead.

        I'm guessing we have all seen the same flock. My eyes probably stuttered when I counted 17.

        How wonderful to see such a huge flock of snow geese in the grand valley.  Today I passed a field with black and white birds on the ground. Turned out to be a murder of crows and about 15 snow geese.

        andrea robinsong