bald eagle eyeballing a nest near Lazear

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2010
      Many of you are familiar with a large stick nest a mile or so northeast of the Hotchkiss fish hatchery.  The last time I saw a bird nesting there, it was a red-tailed, but today I watched a bald eagle fly up to it with a stick, and then fly away without it.

      Would be great to have a bald nesting there.  There are certainly enough fish stacked up below the hatchery to feed a pair.

      So, if those who go by there could keep an eye on it as the time approaches...

      In other news, I saw 6 great blue herons all in one group right at the picnic table at the hatchery.  I am used to them being a little more spread out.  Several dead fish on the bottom, looked like morts that washed out of the hatchery pens.

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia