Gunnison River Pleasure Park this morning

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2009
      Taking a break from the fox sparrow and friends, I spent a couple hours on the river this morning...

      Canada geese
      mallards
      GW teal
      ring-necked duck
      Am. wigeon
      common merganser
      kingfisher
      chukar (heard, not seen)
      canyon wren
      Bewick's wren (at six feet, with no camera!)
      song sparrows (many)
      raven
      crow

      no eagles along the river, but I did see a young bald near an elk carcass off of Bone Mesa Road (about half a mile west of the Crawford Road, south side of the road).  Also saw numerous red-tails, a harrier, kestrels, horned larks, juncos, et al on the drive back.

      Last winter at this time there was a resident killdeer down at PP.  Have not seen it lately, however, nor did I see any Wilson's snipe, which normally forage on the islands in the river down there.

      No swans, either.  Sorry, Andrea.

      Dennis Garrison

    • Dennis Garrison
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2010
        Took a few hours of personal time this morning and chased fish on the river.  Birds of note were two Gambel's quail right across from the lower parking lot, chukars 3/4 mile upstream on the south side, a marsh wren in the cattails upstream, two canyon wrens enjoying the sunshine, two bald eagles, mallards, green-winged teal, common merganser, a goose, and the ever-present song sparrows.

        Saw a kingfisher on the way home, as well.

        Dennis Garrison