suet recipe

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2009

      Hi all,

      I was recently asked for my old suet recipe (PBS), which is probably similar to other recipes that have drifted around on the internet over the years.  But I have since learned of chickadees fondness for crushed walnuts so I occasionally add a bit of various crushed tree nuts to the mix below...

      Hope it works well for you!

      Larry

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

      Peanut Butter Stuff (PBS)

      Melt together 1 cup lard and 1 cup chunky peanut butter (microwave works best for me)

      Use at least a 2.5 quart mixing bowl, and fill with:

      2 cups corn meal

      2 cups oatmeal

      1 cup flour (I use whole wheat flour)

      1/3 cup sugar

      Combine melted and dry ingredients and mix well.

      Can be made into suet cakes (for wire cages) or stuffed into holes in a suet log (can be good for defeating starlings and other suet hogs)

      I store PBS in the fridge, but re-warm it slightly in the microwave for ease of filling holes in the suet logs

      The above recipe may be modified any way you wish.

      I have tallied 22 species of birds using (or attempting to use) PBS, most interesting being our Harris’s sparrow of a few years ago