hypothermia among birds

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2009

      Birds are warm-blooded, like mammals are, yet I have seen nowhere in my reading (quick research only) that suggests birds can suffer from frostbite.  I understand that birds can use various mechanisms to deal with cold ambient temperatures, including winter-acclimatization or “thermogenic endurance” (goldfinches), nightly lowering of body temperatures (vultures, chickadees), torpor (hummingbirds), and “hibernation” (poorwills), but I have found no reference to frostbite occurrence in birds per se.

      This morning’s temperatures are to blame for my quest for understanding!

      Has anyone on wsbn studied this, and can you offer an explanation or direct me to further reading?

      Thank you,

      Curious George

      AKA Larry Arnold

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2009

        Birds are warm-blooded, like mammals are, yet I have seen nowhere in my reading (quick research only) that suggests birds can suffer from frostbite.  I understand that birds can use various mechanisms to deal with cold ambient temperatures, including winter-acclimatization or “thermogenic endurance” (goldfinches), nightly lowering of body temperatures (vultures, chickadees), torpor (hummingbirds), and “hibernation” (poorwills), but I have found no reference to frostbite occurrence in birds per se.

        This morning’s temperatures are to blame for my quest for understanding!

        Has anyone on wsbn studied this, and can you offer an explanation or direct me to further reading?

        Thanks!

        Curious George

        AKA Larry Arnold