Owls

  • Kim M Potter
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2009

      Greetings,

      At the DeBeque owl banding station last night we had our best evening ever, capturing 7 young of the year and 1 adult Saw-whet Owls. Topping it all off we banded a young Long-eared Owl at net closing time. This is only the third time we’ve captured 8 Northern Saw-whet Owls in one evening since we began banding migrating owls in 2002.
      Part of the reason for the high number of captures was due to a second net array of 3 nets placed at another site just 4 minutes away.

      Many thanks to last night’s helpers.  The extra owl volume kept us at the station later than usual without much time to get back to the camp fire and warmed up and we had many ‘cold hands on deck’ before we began the drive home.

      Kim M. Potter
      Wildlife Technician
      White River National Forest
      (970) 625-6860