Roaring Fork Valley Today

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2009
      Three swans were at Cerise Ranch Pond this AM.  I didn't have a scope with me and am uncertain whether Tundras or Trumpeters.  The local feral Trumpeter Swan was at his favorite pond on Coryell Ranch about 5 miles away at the same time.  Here at No Name a few migrant sparrows, "Gambel's" White-Crowned, and a "Slate-Colored" Fox Sparrow, and a few "Gray-headed" Juncos have moved down as cooler weather arrives.

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs

    • Tom & Kay McConnell
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 19, 2009
        A Ferruginous Hawk near the intersection of Garfield CR 100 & 102 (Missouri Heights), likely the same bird that has spent several winters here.  Also a Merlin just south of Hwy 82 and Cattle Creek Road.  The three swans at Cerise Ranch pond were all trumpeters and hung around for about a week, but are gone now.

        Tom McConnell
        Glenwood Springs
      • Tom & Kay McConnell
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2010
          Of note on the Roaring Fork CBC today with several team left to report in:

          Osprey (This bird was seen twice in the past week in Glenwood and today east of Carbondale)
          Peregrine Falcon (near Coryell Ranch ponds)
          Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Adult male visiting feeders at Ranch at Roaring Fork subdivision)

          Tom McConnell
          Glenwood Springs

        • Tom & Kay McConnell
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012
            Kay & I visited lakes around Rifle and Silt this AM.  No winter waterbirds yet, only the expected local dabblers and divers.  Linda Vidal reports lots of ducks at Spring Park Reservoir however (Eagle).  A late DC Cormorant was at Mamm Creek Gravel Ponds, latest date around here 11/05 last year by Jerry and Jan Fedrizzi.  At home a new yard bird, Lewis’s Woodpecker.  Maybe they will set up shop in the cottonwoods along No Name Creek??

            Tom McConnell
            Glenwood Springs

          • Tom & Kay McConnell
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2013
              Dick Filby and I checked Spring Park Reservoir this morning.  Highlights were 17 nice pink Franklin’s Gulls, a few ringers, and a lone California Gull.  The alternate plumaged Common Loon was still around today.  Winter ducks remain in fair numbers; Buffleheads, Common Goldeneyes, and Barrow’s Goldeneyes (a dozen or more today).  Other dabblers and divers numbered 2000+.  Only shorebird around was a loooooooooooooong way from us, but appeared to be a Greater Yellowlegs.

              Blue Lake (Eagle) has had few birds lately but today had 52!!! Western Grebes and one Franklin’s Gull.  Swallows around here are becoming more numerous, but still all Tree Swallows.

              Tom McConnell
              Glenwood Springs

            • Tom & Kay McConnell
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 17, 2013
                Was in Glenwood this morning in a white-out snowstorm, where hundreds of swallows were foraging over the Colorado River.  All I could see were Tree Swallows but I am sure there were others, but the storm got me back in the car within a minute.  Two Western Grebes on the river as well.

                Tom McConnell
                No Name (Glenwood Springs)

              • Tom & Kay McConnell
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2014
                  Dick Filby was in town today (very briefly), we visited mid-valley lakes.  Blue lake (Eagle) with only a few ducks but a Red-breasted Merganser was one of them.  At Spring Park Res. (Eagle) were a lot of birds, we guessed 5,000 and then revised the total to around 3,000 ducks.  Among them only one Barrow’s Goldeneye and three more Red-breasted Mergansers.  Many dabbling ducks, Gadwalls, Wigeons, Mallards, Grn-winged Teal.  Divers, one Redhead, Ring-neck’s, Lesser Scaups, and a few Buffleheads.   All grebes were Eared Grebes at Spring Park.

                  Tom McConnell
                  Glenwood Springs