Skip to search.

Good birds for early October!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2009
      Greetings,
      Today, an Osprey was flying around Nucla checking out the local waterholes.
      Yesterday, we drove to Big Gypsum, Little Gypsum, Silvey's Pocket and then hiked back into Coyote Wash. Good birds along the way were Barn Swallows, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Common Yellowthroat, Wilson Warbler and Lincoln Sparrow mostly in the riparian habitat along the Dolores River. Surprizing was number of Sage Sparrows in migration along the road. We must have seen several dozen. A few Sage Thrashers were also present with lots of Chipping and Vesper Sparrows.
      Three large flocks of Vultures were migrating yesterday with about 70 birds total. I did see a few vultures today so they are not all gone just yet but will be shortly.
      Our last Black-chinned was seen on 1 October and the last Broad-tailed seen was on 2 October. We did see a hummer yesterday on out drive but did not get to ID it.
      On 2 October a Lazuli Bunting was near Pinyon and the San Miguel River. LAZB are not expected after mid September.

      Note on Coyote Wash: The habitat is not as good near the Dolores River as it is upstream where we were last weekend. There is water flowing in the lower wash but there are not as many cottonwoods. Tamaracks are thick in places.

      Good birding,
      Coen and Brenda