Osprey

  • Robin Nicholoff
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
      Coming down SH 133 about a mile north of Paonia Reservoir sitting on
      top of a dead spruce tree, yesterday.

      Also, lots of Cedar Waxwings hanging around the farm this week. One
      died after hitting the patio door. A few days before, a sharpie flew
      into the glass with a thud but fortunately got up & flew away.

      -Robin Nicholoff
    • Missy Siders
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27, 2012
        Saw an osprey soaring over Confluence Park in Delta today about noon.
        -Missy

        --
        ^v^  ^V^   ^v^    ^v^  ^V^   ^v^ ^v^
                     Missy Siders
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 13, 2013
          One bird flew over the Redlands Parkway South Pond on 10/12. At Vega Lake there were no diving ducks seen.

          Bob Bradley, GJ
        • arobinsong
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 23, 2015
            As I drove up out of Hart's Basin last evening heading east an Osprey flew over me heading towards Fruitgrowers res.

            Andrea Robinsong

          • conneemm
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 31, 2016

              On the River Front Trail west of 29 Road in GJ this a.m. I saw 2 osprey close to a nest that has been occupied for years. On Monday, there was only the one bird in the area, today the 2 were perched in the same tree close to the nest. One bird appeared to be larger than another, so I'm not sure if the smaller is a young one or the female. I've checked all my books and none mention whether or not there is a size difference between the male and female, but it looks to me to be a mated pair.

              Connee Moffatt

            • conneemm
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 21

                Saw my FOS Osprey this a.m. on the River Front Trail east of 29 Road in GJ. It appears to be nest building.

                Yesterday, I saw two Belted Kingfishers tusseling in flight over a pond, when one of them splashed into the water. After a brief struggle, it took off and chased after the other one.

                Connee

              • Shep & Mary Harris
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 2
                  Hi All,
                  As of yesterday April 1, osprey are back in the Roaring Fork Valley in at least two different locations.
                  So far, they have been spotted at the fish hatchery nest on 133 in Carbondale by Mary Harris
                  and at the Emma nest by Donna Chase.

                  take care,
                  Mary
                • rclarke32001
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 11

                  The nest that was under way at 21 Rd/ ^/50 Hwy near Fruita was removed by Excel Energy on Monday  4-10