hummingbirds vs. the elements

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009

      Good morning and happy October!

      We had a rush of hummingbirds at our feeders this morning, easily doubling yesterday’s count of 3 or 4 birds.  The local news this morning reported wind gusts of 60 mph yesterday in GJ, but the highest we recorded with our roof-top anemometer was 42 mph.  At 0730 hrs this morning, temperature 40F, Missy and I took census and counted ca. 8 hummers, all Black-chins as far as I can tell.  This might be the first time since moving to GJ in 1998 that we have not had Rufous and Calliope into October, but they could still show up, eh?

      Other recent arrivals in or through our airspace include Cooper’s hawk, Mountain bluebird, Cassin’s finch, Ruby-crowned kinglet, and WAVES of robins.