Out and about - Mesa County

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2009

      Yesterday I was sleepless after about 0300 hrs so I drove up onto Pinon Mesa and retraced Rich and Karen’s “Flammulated owl transect” of several years ago, hoping for a late FLOW.  I found no owls.  First birds heard and seen were Mountain bluebirds.  Darn few other species were up there, but elk were bugling and coyotes were wailing.

      We have seen Sandhill cranes go thru Mesa County just about everywhere (thru the east-west limits of the county), from the Utah state line, over Colorado National Monument , to Debeque, and over the top of Grand Mesa.  The largest numbers I have seen in the county were 600+ birds staging at the north end of Highline Lake several years ago, so this morning Missy and I took a quick spin out there to see if any cranes were grounded in these 15-35 mph winds.  No cranes, Evey.  Besides the duck hunters, there were quite a few Barn swallows swirling about, a pied-billed grebe, a dew Ruddy ducks, an Osprey carrying a fish around, and a kestrel and peregrine were closely engaged in aerial one-upmanship with each other.

      At 23 and ¼ Rd pond was a juvie Black-crowned night-heron.

      At home, three Black-chinned hummingbirds remain.

      Wow, we got 0.01” of precip this morning!