Barrow's Goldeneye Count

  • Rich Levad
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2005

      The 2005 edition of Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory's  Early Winter Waterfowl Count -- also known as the Barrow's Goldeneye Count -- will be conducted on November 18-21. Once again, volunteers will scatter out across the state and survey as much open water in Colorado as possible, with special emphasis on finding all the Barrow's Goldeneyes.  We have traditionally held this a week or two later, but last winter's bitter weather enticed us to move it up.

      Once again, we are soliciting help.  If you would like to contribute by visiting a lake or two (or three or a dozen), please contact us as soon as possible so we can keep track of who plans to go where and get the best possible coverage.

      West Slope birders contact Rich Levad (rich.levad@...)

      Rich Levad
      Special Monitoring Projects Coordinator
      Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory, West Office
      337 25 3/4 Road, Grand Junction, CO 81503
      Phone: 970-241-4674

      www.rmbo.org (check us out)

      Conserving Birds -- Rocky Mountains and Great Plains

    • Jason Beason
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2007

        The 2007 edition of Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory's Early Winter
        Waterfowl Count – also known as the Barrow's Goldeneye Count – will be
        conducted 16-18 November. The effort this year is going to be
        down-sized a little and we would like to concentrate on counting all
        of the Barrow's Goldeneyes in Colorado. We would, however, appreciate
        a full species list for the lakes that are counted. Also, if
        participants could enter their count totals into the eBird web site
        that would be appreciated. Please let me know if you would like to
        help with the count.

        Here are the lakes that have had the bulk of Barrow's Goldeneyes on
        past counts and will hopefully be visited next weekend:

        Jerry Creek Reservoir – Mesa County
        Grand Lake – Grand County
        Lake Avery – Rio Blanco County
        Lake Granby – Grand County
        Silverthorne Sewage Ponds – Summit County
        Rifle Gap Reservoir – Garfield County
        Taylor Park Reservoir – Gunnison County
        Dillon Reservoir – Summit County
        Shadow Mountain Reservoir – Grand County
        Union Reservoir – Weld
        Blue Mesa Reservoir – Gunnison County
        Rifle Falls Fish Hatchery – Garfield County
        Bear Creek Reservoir – Jefferson County
        Steamboat Lake – Routt County
        Eleven Mile Reservoir – Park County
        Clear Creek Reservoir – Lake County
        Yampa River (at Craig) – Moffat County
        Ranch at the Roaring Fork Ponds – Garfield (?)
        Blue Lake – Eagle County
        Mount Elbert Forebay – Lake
        Ice Lake – Chaffee County
        Horsetooth Reservoir – Larimer County
        Vega Reservoir – Mesa County

        Here are the totals for each year of the count:
        1999 – 226 at 8 sites
        2000 – 107 at 16 sites
        2001 – 181 at 20 sites
        2002 – 189 at 16 sites