Common Nighthawk Horde, Aug. 11

  • Jacob C. Cooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2009
      Hi all,

      While driving through the Redlands on the night of the 11th, I spotted a horde of Nighthawks in someone's yard. I estimated at least 50 birds emerging from the communal roost. Though it was an awesome sight to behold, I hope to goodness the people living there do not have a fear of bat-like creatures. I have seen plenty of Common Nighthawk flocks in fall, but never a communal roost. It makes sense that the flock would not dissipate at night, though.

      Also, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for all the awesome birding experiences I have had in Western Colorado. As many of you already know, I am now attending Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. In fact, as I write this, there are Carolina Chickadees and Tufted Titmice just outside of my window. It will be a hard adjustment calling Baltimore Orioles 'common' and Black-throated Gray Warblers 'extremely rare.'

      I will still be on WSBN to join in on ID discussions and talks about migration dates and everything, but will probably not be reporting much for (at least) the next four years if not longer. I'll do my best to send some of these warblers and stuff your way though...

      Take care, and it was great birding with all of you! If any of you come through Louisiana, feel free to contact me at this e-mail address or via cell phone (970-589-0082).

      --
      Jacob Cooper
      East Baton Rouge Parish, LA