Criag area birds

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2009

      Hey All,

      Given the torrential rains in Craig last night, today seemed like a better day for birding than yard work so I got out a little. There were a few migrants around but not unfortunately the hoped for fallout.

      Best bird at Loudy-Simpson Park was a Northern Waterthrush, along with a couple each of MacGillivray’s and Wilson’s Warblers. Otherwise, it was still mostly resident birds.

      Best birds at WFMC Ponds were two early Semipalmated Plovers mingling with  Semipalmated (1), Least (3) and Western (3) Sandpipers, a single Lesser Yellowlegs and a horde of drab, uninteresting looking ducks.

      The county maintenance shop pond had a couple family groups of Wood Ducks but not much else of interest. The CMS pond still has a lot of water and, unfortunately,  exposed mudflats are looking like a pipe dream this year.

      Cheers,

      Forrest Luke

      Craig