Region 8 Blockbuster

  • loribrummer
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2009
      Thanks to Dave, Diane, Arden, Kathy, Coen and Brenda, we were able to complete the Courthouse Mountain and Washboard Rock blocks the 25 & 26 of July. Coen already mentioned finding the black swift nest, which was probably the best bird of the weekend. However, 4 of us also spotted a juvenile leucistic hairy woodpecker in the Courthouse Mountain block. The "ghost" woodpecker was certainly a surprise for us. It was a fun weekend - good company and good birds. Hope you'll join us next year!
    • loribrummer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2010
        Birders of all abilities are invited to participate in a Region 8 Blockbuster and do some high elevation birding. Join us Saturday and Sunday, July 17th and 18th for atlas training, birding, good company, and an all around fun weekend! Inexperienced birders will be paired with experienced birders. There will be opportunities to bird on foot or by car and you'll have the opportunity to add to your Gunnison and Saguache county lists. Saturday, we will work the Whitepine priority block; Sunday, we will most likely work the Sargents priority block. However, if there is enough interest and people willing to hike above timberline, the Cumberland Pass block would be an option. Please contact Lori Brummer (lbrummer@... or 970-416-8971) by July 15th if you are interested in working the Cumberland Pass block.

        We will camp at Snowblind Campground south of Whitepine on Friday night. Saturday night camping will depend on the block to be worked the next day. Information will be posted on the campground information board. Non-campers are welcome to meet us at 8 a.m. Saturday. Sunday only birders should contact Lori for more information.