Lesser Nighthawk and Black Phoebe

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2009
      Last evening I visited the Nucla Sewer Ponds and found one male Lesser Nighthawk. I am assuming the nighthawk is an adult but I am not sure.

      There are lots of nighthawks and swallow at dusks. It is one of the best bird shows I have ever seen. Insects are abundant in the area along Calamity Draw and in the evening spiral up like whiffs of smoke. There could easily be several thousand birds. There are few mosquitos in the mix but lot of dragonflies. It is this time of year that Purple Martins show up around Nucla.

      Last evening, present at the sewer ponds was a Northern Shoveler and a Redhead. Also a Black Phoebe join in the insect feast. Today 20 to 30 White-faced Ibis were at a farm pond south of the sewer ponds.

      Migration is really underway. We have lots of all four hummer species at our feeders. Many other species are now showing up in Nucla that are not here in summer.

      Coen and Brenda