Alder Flycatcher Update

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 1:14 PM
      After four days of birding in SW Colorado, I reached Gunnison about 3
      PM on Sunday afternoon. I headed right to the Alder Flycatcher site
      knowing well finding a calling bird in the afternoon is not very
      likely. Nothing was calling but I could see a couple of Empids. I
      tried my Alder recording. No Alder but I did find a Dwayne Nelson.
      Apparently Dwayne was heading from Los Animas to Silverton to go
      climbing, was driving past, saw my Eurovan with its Merida" plates and
      stopped.

      Together we looked for the Alder for about 120 minutes. We clearly
      heard a Willow calling several times. Once Dwayne clearly heard an
      Alder call one time in response to my iPod. I also thought I heard but
      wasn't sure - it was one time very briefly. On the other hand, one
      Empid was responding to my calls by checking us out at the front of
      the willows. I finally gave up and Dwayne went on to Silverton.

      After dinner (about 6 PM), I went back to the site. I stayed for about
      an hour and called the Alder a few times without luck.

      Since this would have been a first Colorado sighting for me, I decided
      on another attempt. I camped, got up early and was at the site at 5
      AM. At 5:20 AM, A Willow Flycatcher began calling. Then, at 5:45 AM,
      totally on its own (without a recording having been played at all that
      morning), one Alder Flycatcher began aggressively calling - and
      continued to call on its own for 35 minutes. Once it stopped. I
      waiting 15 minutes and tried the iPod again. It started up again for
      about 15 minutes more. I saw the calling bird several times. then I
      left and headed for home.

      More about the rest of my trip later.

      Vic Zerbi