goshawk nest check, Delta County today

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2009
      Andrea, Geoff, Ellery, and I went up near Overland Reservoir today to check up on a nesting goshawk I found earlier in the season, then wandered around and did some birding in the area.

      We found the nest with no trouble (not that it had moved in the past month).  Peering over the lip were at least two chicks.  We could not really see into it, so had to eyeball what we could from the ground nearby.  http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/P1070867lc.jpg

      Momma showed up a few minutes after we did and let us know she was not happy.  http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/P1070871lc.jpg

      The Williamson's sapsucker nest was occupied, with momma bringing food to the area (but nervous at our presence) and chicks calling from inside.  Since we were bothering both the gos and the sapsucker, we exited stage left.  Skeeters were vicious.

      We headed north towards Buzzard Divide.  The first stop, to water the dogs, resulted in a fox sparrow, numerous white-crowned, a Lincoln's, and both yellow and Wilson's warblers, along with broad-tailed hummers.  The dogs found a dead fish in which to roll.  The pic is not the dead fish.  http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/P1070881lc.jpg

      We next stopped to check on the broad-tailed hummer nest from last week.  When we got out of the vehicles, we could see an olive-sided flycatcher foraging from a treetop across the creek, and a large hummer with a silent flight on the other side of the road.  This is where Andrea began to torment me about making her leave the scope at home, since the hummer could be one of those once-in-a-county kind of birds.  Began.

      Momma was not on the hummer nest, but new chicks were in it.  We took a quick peek and a couple fast shots and left.  While we were there, a Swainson's hawk soared over our heads.  http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/P1070889lc.jpg

      Mule Park had both vesper and Brewer's sparrows in it.  We tried for pics and audio of a Brewer's, without success.

      Over the hill on Buzzard Creek, we found nesting purple martins, a MacGillivray's warbler feeding a cowbird chick (missed the pic of the day, of course), and this fuzzy barely-flying young one:  http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/P1070912lc.jpg

      The rains came, and Geoff headed for Grand Junction via Collbran.  Andrea, Ellery, and I turned around and headed for the Muddy Creek area near McClure Pass.  We stopped in a willow thicket and found house wrens, a tanager male, Audubon's warblers, and possibly a Bewick's wren.  Not far down the road, we found a gray catbird and a dead cow for the dog to roll in.  Next pond, 7 mallard chicks and more Audubon's.

      The bottom part of the muddy drive resulted in numerous bluebirds, a couple western wood-pewees, and a family of red-tailed hawks.

      Lots of other birds seen throughout the day, but those are some of the highlights.

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia