Yellow-jacket Canyon

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2009
      Today Brenda and I led a group of birders(12) for the Cortez Birding Festival to Yellow-jacket Canyon. We were able to find 2 or 3 Lucy's Warblers and one first year male Summer Tanager. Most of the other special birds in the area were also found.

      On Friday evening at Totten Res. one Black-necked Stilt was present. On Saturday along the Dolores River Road there were at least two Hammond's Flycatchers calling as they were feeding and calling in the narrow-leaf cottonwoods(migrating). Jim already mentioned the Indigo Bunting which may have been at the same location that Dennis G. found at on Friday.

      We did find many other good birds but nothing really rare. I don't know what the total final species count is for the festival but Brenda, I and our groups found 117 species. We also added several new county ticks.

      Happy birding,
      Coen and Brenda